Welcome to Leatherhead beekeepers

by / Thursday, 23 June 2016 / Published in Uncategorized

With the kind permission of Denbies Wine Estate, at the end of May we gave our bees new fields to fly in at Denbies vineyard.

Over a week-end, with a hand scythe and a strimmer, docks and six-foot high nettles were cleared and slabs laid on which to place the hives.

The first swarm to take up their new residence collected from a tree in the front garden of a house in Cobham earlier in the day.  They were brought up in the late evening and tipped onto a white sheet in front of the hive: they all climbed up into it and settled down to making comb.

Two days later, now an early June evening , Russell had the new experience of  travelling from Fetcham with several thousand bees in his car. The boxes were lifted into position at the apiary and the bees quickly orientated themselves in the vineyard, following us about at first, but by the next day they settled down to forage.

The same evening, Graham brought up a small colony in a nucleus box and tipped them in to his hive. Graham is the most experienced of us and the bees seemed to know it, settling in very quickly.

Next was Jackie, who erected a new hive and was delighted when Graham collected another swarm, from Fetcham, which Jackie introduced one evening earlier this week.

We have had several inspection visits and the bees seem really content with their new situation.

It is rather late in the season for the bees to develop enough to give us any honey this year, but we’ll wait and see.








We inspected Julie’s colony today, which was a swarm introduced on June 18th.

Very happily, Julie found the queen and attempted to mark her with white paint.  The queen rolled up and played dead for a long time, about five minutes. She was not moving or breathing and Julie was alarmed she had pressed too hard when marking her. The bees were surrounding her, licking her and trying to turn  her over, and gradually she started moving again. When she seemed to have recovered Julie placed her back in the hive.

We were delighted to find a queen in Russell’s first colony, a split from a larger one, as two weeks ago it seemed that any new queen that had emerged had died. We found and marked her, at first with so much liquid paint that it splashed around onto other bees. The queen had been laying well, for we had five frames of eggs and larvae and many hatched young bees. Two weeks ago we had introduced two frames of eggs from another colony ( as we thought there was no queen) so we were interested to see now that they had hatched, young bees of a different markings from the original colony.

In Russell’s second colony, we found the queen and noticed the paint marking on the queen of  two weeks ago, had been licked off by the bees- possibly as above, the paint was too liquid, so we re-marked her.

All the colonies were much better-tempered now that the thundery weather had passed.


To Our Valued Customers


Please note, all areas of the business will be adhering to new social distancing government policy, thank you in advance for your consideration.  Please note, due to reduced numbers on the outdoor tour, we strongly advise booking on-line in advance, reservations may be available day thank you.

The Visitor Centre is now open, including all facilities
Indoor & Outdoor Dining/Vineyard Hotel/Outdoor tours


Sparkling Outdoor Tour & Gallery Restaurant dinner/Afternoon Tea Hamper & Tour/Secret Vineyard Trail & Tasting

VINEYARD HOTEL is now open

Table service only/hot food available 12noon to 2pm

‘THE HATCH ON THE LAWN’ Outside Marquee seating available
Selection of hot & cold drinks & snacks
Daily 10am – 4pm
Saturday 9am – 6pm/ Sunday 10am – 5pm

Please note, only food and drink purchased from Denbies may be consumed on-site

THE GALLERY RESTAURANT Open from Saturday 11 July

Open every Saturday & Sunday for lunch 12noon - 3.30pm, advance reservations only

Your English Vineyard Wedding in Surrey

Congratulations!  Making plans for your special day?
Whilst the main estate building and hotel remain closed to the public, we are happy to offer social distanced wedding viewings from Saturday 20 June.
For more information and to book a viewing, please contact Dawn@denbiesvineyard.co.uk

Denbies Wine & Gift Shop

Daily 10am – 4pm/Sat & Sun 10am – 5pm

The safety of our customers and staff is of primary importance,
please observe social distancing guidelines, card transactions only

Information: Health and safety - shop reopening PDF

For the most up to date information, click here and sign up to our newsletter to
receive our latest news and updates for when we will reopen.

On-line Wine & Gift Shop
• 20% off all wine purchases
• Cellar door click & collect available Monday – Friday, 10am until 3pm
• Online Delivery

• NEW – Wine & Gift Packages Now Available Online

Apologies - we are unable to take wine orders over the phone

Please click here & visit our online shop for more information

Please continue to our website for information and visiting the estate.